Blog ArticlesFilter your results
There is so much to do at the Disneyland Resort and with Get Away Today, we give you the best tips on how to make the most out of your vacation time - even during busy travel times! We recently posted an article of our top 10 list on how to beat the crowds at Disneyland - so if you haven't be sure to check it out by clicking here. Since this summer is sure to be full of fun with the opening of Cars Land, we decided to take it a step further and offer our list of 20 things to do at the Disneyland Resort when it's busy. Check out some of our favorite things to do at Disneyland - even when it's crowded:
- No trip to Disneyland is complete without a Dole pineapple whip. These yummy tropical treats are located just outside of the Tiki Room. When it's busy, we suggest you grab one, then head directly into the Tiki Room where you can eat it inside.
- Aladdin - A Musical Spectacular is one of our favorite shows at the Disneyland Resort - or anywhere really. This full Broadway caliber production lasts about 45 minutes and the theatre has a ton of seating, so it's unlikely that you'll be turned away, even during busy season.
- it's a small world is one of Disneyland's most classic rides, plus as an added bonus, the lines are normally manageable and the ride itself is pretty long. Also, as a little tip, it's a small world has two lines, and the line on the right side normally moves a little bit faster.
- Book a Character Dining lunch. Disney Character Dining is the best way to see your favorite characters and not wait in any lines. Many Character Dining options are available for breakfast only, but both Ariel's Grotto and Goofy's Kitchen offer meals later in the day. Because mornings are normally the least crowded times in the Parks, you'll make the most out of your time by hitting rides in the morning and taking a fun-filled Character break during mid-day.
- Pirates of the Caribbean is a perfect ride for a busy day. Even when the line is long, it is fast moving, and the boats hold a lot of people. Plus, the attraction itself lasts for 15 minutes of swashbuckling fun!
- Make a reservation for the Blue Bayou - and request a table by the water. Located inside Pirates of the Caribbean, you'll really extend your pirate experience by eating inside the Blue Bayou. You can make reservations up to 60 days before you travel, so by booking early, you'll get the best times. The menu can get a little pricey, so to save on cost (and escape the heat of the day), make a reservation for a late lunch.
- My new favorite attraction at the Disneyland Resort is the Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure. It is absolutely darling, lasts for approximately six minutes of ride time, and even when the line is long, it is fast moving.
- Watch (or join in) the Jedi Training Academy which takes place throughout the day in Tomorrowland. The busier the day, the more often Darth Vader attempts to disturb the force. A handful of kids ages 4-12 are selected to participate as Jedi Knights in each show.
- We really can't stress this enough, but grab a FASTPASS - then use it! (Some of the best rides for FASTPASS tickets are Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin' Over California, Indiana Jones, and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror.)
- Head on over to It's Tough to Be a Bug, an eight minute long 3D show held in Bug's Land in California Adventure. The theatre holds a lot of people, and it's a great place to get out of the summer heat.
- Experience Captain EO for a blast from the past! This 17 minute show is a ton of fun for parents who remember it from their childhood at Disneyland. It's also fun for kids that are being introduced to MJ's epic 3D show which is a little bit retro and a little bit futuristic at the same time.
- Like the Little Mermaid, it's a small world, and Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion is a long ride with a fast moving line. In addition to having a quick moving line, once you get inside the mansion, you begin walking through the attraction, making the experience feel worth the wait.
- Climb aboard the Disneyland Railroad, which can either be used as transportation around Disneyland, or will take you on a "Grand Circle Tour" of the Park. Convenient train stations are located on MainStreet USA, in New Orleans Square, in Mickey's Toontown and inside Tomorrowland. You'll get to see areas of the Disneyland you can only see via the Disneyland Railroad, plus you'll even get to take a peak inside Splash Mountain!
- Billy Hill & The Hillbillies is a truly unique comedy/bluegrass/musical act that you can only see inside Disneyland Park! They perform regularly at the Golden Horseshoe Saloon inside Frontierland and perform even more often during busy season to entertain crowds.
- World of Color is a truly must-see nighttime spectacular, and you will need a ticket. During busy times the line to get a World of Color FASTPASS Ticket gets really long, and although free, tickets have been known to "sell out" by 10am. Instead of waiting in line to get a ticket, you can reserve a World of Color Picnic lunch or make a reservation for a World of Color dinner at the Wine and Country Trattoria. Then, once you have your ticket, get to your assigned section as early as possible.
- Explore Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer's Island for a way to get away from the crowds. You'll travel by raft to this island crawling with pirate surprises.
- Visit the Disney Animation building. You could really spend some serious time here, and a lot of people tend to pass by this amazing area without realizing what's inside. Here you'll find many interactive areas in the Sorcerer's Workshop including the Beast's Library, Ursula's Grotto, and the Magic Mirror Realm. You can also learn all about Disney Animation in Character Close-Up and see the Toy Story Zoetrope.
- Although located inside the Disney Animation building, Turtle Talk with Crush is worth mentioning on its own. This 10-12 minute interactive show is based on audience participation and is never the same twice. Normally not too crowded, this is definitely worth a visit during your Disney vacation.
- Tucked away in the quieter area of Frontierland is Big Thunder Ranch, which features a charming petting zoo. It's something you may not think of when you're thinking Disneyland, but it's a fun experience and a great way to get away from crowds. (There's also an all-you-care-to-eat BBQ nearby.)
- Take a scenic cruise aboard the Mark Twain River Boat or the Sailing Ship Columbia. Both vessels are authentic representations and only operate seasonally or during peak travel times, so it's worth checking it out.
There is so much to see and do at the Disneyland Resort this summer! We hope you'll experience it all with at least a 3-Day Park Hopper Ticket and our discount hotel specials. With so much excitement taking place, availability will go quickly, so be sure to book your Disneyland vacation now for the best availability and selection!