Blog ArticlesFilter your results
Disney is in town and is treating the Get Away Today staff to a “guid” time with a showing of the new Disney-Pixar’s Brave. In honor of their latest release, we’d like to pay tribute to Merida’s homeland with a spotlight on Adventures by Disney’s newest destination—Scotland.
Beginning in March 2013, you can cross the Atlantic and immerse yourself in the ancient legend, folklore, and incomparable beauty of Scotland. A country as wrought in storytelling as Scotland paired with the storytelling powerhouse of Disney makes for an unparalleled match. Led by an expert guide, your group will learn about the magic tucked away in every stone and hill as you traipse across some of the most breathtaking sites on earth. Here’s just a wee glimpse of the adventures that await you in bonnie Scotland during your nine day/eight night tour, as described by Adventures by Disney:
- Canoe across the mysterious Loch Ness
- Explore Urquhart Castle, the fortress (built upon an ancient burial cairn)
- The Royal Palace of Holyroodhouse, the Queen's official residence in Edinburgh
- The National Museum of Scotland, home of the iconic, 12th-century Lewis Chessmen that Merida and Queen Elinore played with in the film
- Dovecot Studios, for a demonstration of the ancient art of tapestry weaving (like those decorating the castle walls in "Brave")
- Coach rides to the magnificent Isle of Skye, Glen Coe Valley, Quiraing, Brothers Point, Kilt Rock, and the Sound of Raasay, where rock formations crown mist-blanketed hilltops
- Tour of Eilean Donan Castle, a centuries-old palace at the crossroads of three lochs (translation: lakes!)
- Isle of Lewis, dotted with the scenic beaches and ancient sites
- Blackhouse of Arnol, a peat-roof dwelling where locals lived with their domesticated animals
- Gearrannan Village, a village of traditional thatched "blackhouses" that provided inspiration for the Witch House in "Brave"
- Dun Carloway Broch, an ancient stone structure from the Iron Age
- Rothiemurchus Estate, one of the greatest woodland forests in Britain and home to the 13th-century Loch an Eilein Castle
- Dunnottar Castle, perched high above the sea, was one of the sources that inspired Pixar artists when creating Merida's castle
- Archery lessons at Glamis Castle, the domicile that sparked Shakespeare's "Macbeth"
- Private tour of Edinburgh Castle, home of the Stone of Destiny and Scottish Crown Jewels
- Inverness, the ancient capital once inhabited by Pictish Kings
Your Adventures by Disney vacation includes: the services of two Adventure Guides, accommodations, scheduled meals, activities, and entertainment, luggage service, transportation within your adventure, cultural entertainment with local experts, and VIP access and exclusive activities.
You can book your Adventures by Disney “Scotland: A Brave Adventure” trip now by calling our reservations experts at 800.523.6116. They can help you with all the ins and outs of planning your overseas trip. So follow a will-o’-the wisp towards your dreams and book your Scotland vacation today! And be sure to catch Brave in a theater near you!