Disney Genie at Disneyland
UPDATED AUGUST 2023. There is SO much to learn about visiting Disneyland right now and Disney Genie is at the top of that list. Especially because things continue to change on a regular basis.. It can be hard to keep up! But, that’s where we come in.
We’re covering everything you need to know about Disney Genie, the FastPass replacement at Disneyland Resort. This is possibly the biggest change to come to the Disneyland Resort in years. Our team uses Genie+ on every visit and we are here to share everything we know with you!
Get Away Today Cheat Sheet
- Disneyland Genie+ is available for pre-purchase with your Get Away Today tickets.
- Day-of Disneyland Genie+ price varies by date, and will only be shown on the day-of in the Disneyland app.
- Disneyland Genie+ selections can begin as soon as your tickets are activated at the turnstiles. Make selections via the Disneyland app.
What is Disney Genie?
Disney Genie was put in place at the Disneyland Resort on December 8, 2021.When we say Disney Genie, we’re typically talking about three different things; Disney Genie, Disney Genie+ and Lightning Lanes.
Here is a brief definition of each of these new terms:
- Disney Genie = A free service that gives you itinerary planning based on your preferences and location inside the parks.
- Disney Genie + = A paid service that gives you access to Lightning Lanes for select attractions (one attraction at a time, based on availability), unlimited PhotoPass+ downloads and access to audio tours. It is most like the previous MaxPass, which has been retired.
- Lightning Lanes = Formerly known as FastPass queues, Lightning Lanes are an alternative to stand-by queues with expedited access to select Disneyland attractions. Lightning Lanes may be accessed via Disney Genie+ or Individual Lightning Lane selections.
How much does Disney Genie + cost?
How much does Individual Lightning Lane cost?Individual Lightning Lane selections are dynamic and prices can vary depending on demand for the attraction. Only select attractions offer Individual Lightning Lanes. You can expect to pay approximately $7-$25 per person per attraction for Individual Lightning Lanes.
Do I need to purchase both Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane?You can purchase Genie+ AND/OR purchase up to two Individual Lightning Lanes per day. You don’t have to purchase Genie+ in order to purchase an Individual Lightning Lane, or vice versa. They are considered separate from each other and are not tied together.
How do I buy Disney Genie +?
First, you can pre-purchase Disney Genie + as part of your Disneyland ticket. By pre-purchasing Disney Genie +, you will have the service for each day of your ticket. For example, to upgrade a 3-Day Disneyland ticket to include Disney Genie +, you’ll pay an additional $75 ($25/day) and have Disney Genie + available all three days of your trip.
There are two main benefits of pre-purchasing Genie+:
- Locking in the $25/day per ticket price instead of being subject to dynamic pricing.
- Convenience of already having it loaded onto your Disneyland tickets. Once you’re in the Parks, you’re ready to go and start making your first Genie+ selection.
You can also purchase Disney Genie + through the Disneyland app. If you purchase Disney Genie + through the app, you’ll only be able to purchase one day at a time and will have to wait until the day you are at the parks to purchase it.
You will have to be scanned into the park in order to purchase Genie+ and make your first Lightning Lane selection. You’ll have more flexibility this way, however, just be aware that once you use Disney Genie +, it will be hard to go back to not having Disney Genie +. Because of that, we recommend pre-purchasing your Disney Genie + tickets through Get Away Today.
Can I upgrade my tickets to pre-purchase Genie +?
Can I pre-purchase Individual Lightning Lanes?
Do I HAVE to buy Disney Genie + in order to ride anything on my vacation?
There are also other ways to save time in lines. Rider swap and DAS (Disability Access Service) are all still available to all who qualify to use those services. Single rider lines may be available at some attractions as well. If you’re traveling with adults or older kids, keep an eye out for this option.
Do I need Disney Genie + for everyone in my party or can we share?
Will Disney Genie + sell out?
What attractions are included with Disney Genie +?
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
- Haunted Mansion
- Indiana Jones Adventure
- “it's a small world”
- Matterhorn Bobsleds
- Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
Disney California Adventure Park
- Goofy's Sky School
- Grizzly River Run
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!
- Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sulley to the Rescue!
- Soarin' Around the World
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure - NEW as of October 11, 2022
What attractions have Individual Lightning Lane options?
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance
- Radiator Springs Racers
How do I use Disney Genie or Disney Genie +?
Can I book a Lightning Lane selection for Disneyland if I’m in Disney California Adventure and vice versa?
Do I have to have a Park Hopper to have Genie+?
Can I have more than one Lightning Lane at a time?
How long will I have to wait in line with Disney Genie +?
Adding Disney Genie+ to Your Package
We can’t wait to help you plan your Disneyland vacation!