Out of all of the Disneyland tips and tricks out there, many, if not most all revolve around the Disneyland FastPass system. Almost everyone who visits the Disneyland Resort has at least heard about the FastPass system and understand generally how it works. Each ticket includes access to the FastPass system. You put your ticket in, a reminder card is printed out with your return time, and you use your ticket to access a much shorter line when that return time hits. What many people may not know is that there are a number of Disneyland FastPass tips that will make your trip to Disneyland even better. Check the best ones out below:
Disneyland FastPass Tips:
1. Do your research. Before you even get to the Disneyland Resort, you'll want to know which attractions offer FastPass service so you can prioritize. Since you are only able to have one FastPass out at a time (there are two exceptions to this rule, which are coming later), you'll want to make sure that the FastPass tickets you end up with are the ones you actually want. Here are the rides and entertainment options that currently have a FastPass option:
2. Assign someone to be in charge of the park tickets and FastPass times for everyone in your group. Nothing puts a damper on a trip than having a lost ticket and having one person to be responsible for tickets can lessen that risk. By having one person hold all of the tickets, they can go up to the FastPass Distribution Center and have everything handy to quickly reserve the FastPasses. Just know that each ticket has to be activated before you can get any FastPasses. That means you can't send Dad ahead to the park to grab tickets for everyone while the rest of the family enjoys breakfast. The family that FastPasses together, rides together. The only exception to this rule would be with the MaxPass system, which we’ll cover a little later.
3. Set an alert on your phone for when your next FastPass return time is. As far as Disneyland FastPass tips go, this is a biggie. You don't want to miss your return time, because you will lose out on your FastPass. If there's any place that is easy to get distracted, it's Disneyland! By setting an alarm on your phone, you'll be better able to keep track of the time and make it back for your scheduled ride time.
4. Know the different types of FastPass options. There are FastPass tickets that are for set show times, and then there are FastPasses that are for attractions. While the FastPass is now connected to your ticket, the printed reminder slip will tell you what time your return window is, as well as when your next FastPass will be available. Show tickets will have a set show time and a recommended return time. Show tickets also don't count as having a FastPass for an attraction. That means that as soon as you grab a show FastPass ticket, you can get one for an attraction as well. Currently, you can get a show FastPass for World of Color (reopening June 23rd with Pixar Pier) and sometimes Frozen – Live at the Hyperion in Disney California Adventure. In Disneyland, Fantasmic! is currently the only entertainment with a FastPass show ticket.
5. Use your FastPasses wisely. Not all FastPass attractions and wait times were created equally. Some FastPass tickets go much more quickly. Some examples of these are Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin' Around the World, Indiana Jones Adventure, and Space Mountain, whether it's the original, Hyperspace, or Ghost Galaxy version. The Guardians of the Galaxy ride is also extremely popular, so you may want to make that your first FastPass stop in Disney California Adventure. I recommend if a ride has a wait time of 20-25 minutes, to ride immediately and not worry about getting a FastPass. The exception to this is if the return time is REALLY close to the time you get your ticket. In that case, grab a FastPass, wait in the stand-by line and then ride again right after with your FastPass.
6. Use the official Disneyland app while you're in the park. It will show you current wait times, FastPass availability and the entertainment schedule. There are tons of other features as well. As far as Disneyland FastPass tips go, the app can help you determine where to go next, whether or not you have time to ride a certain attraction or catch a show before your next FastPass is ready to use, and which FastPass is available to grab next.
7. We already mentioned one of the FastPass exceptions in our Disneyland FastPass tips (you can have a show FastPass and a ride FastPass at the same time). Now it's time to mention the second exception to the rule that you can only have one FastPass out at a time. Each FastPass has the time that the next FastPass will be available printed on the bottom of the reminder slip. It will either be when the next FastPass is available OR two hours from when you collected your FastPass. That means that if you get your FastPass for Radiator Springs Racers in the morning and your return time isn't until late afternoon, you don't have to wait until late afternoon to get your next FastPass. You can grab another one just two hours from the time you got it.
8. Consider the MaxPass option. MaxPass is an optional service that currently costs $15 per person per day. It enables you to use the Disneyland app to book your FastPasses as well as gives you access to Disney PhotoPass for each day you purchase it. While this is in no way necessary, especially if you follow all of our Disneyland FastPass tips, it can be helpful for busy days. Plus, you only have to wait 90 minutes (instead of two hours) for your next FastPass when you use MaxPass. And you’re able to book FastPasses for Disneyland while you’re in Disney California Adventure and vice versa. This is awesome for days when the park is busy or if you just love the convenience! You can read our best Disneyland MaxPass tips here.
I hope you found these Disneyland FastPass tips helpful for your next trip! Of course, there are so many other ways to make the most out of your time at Disneyland. Be sure to take advantage of Magic Morning early entry, use the Rider Switch and Single Rider lines when appropriate, make reservations for sit-down restaurants and more. Read these articles to find out more about our other time saving tips:
And for money saving tips, be sure to start your Disneyland vacation by booking with Get Away Today. We help you save the most with our exclusive hotel rates, extra night free specials, discount Disneyland tickets and so much more! Book any of our Disneyland packages online or call our Disney Experts at 855-GET-AWAY.