UPDATED APRIL 2023. Mexico is one of our most exciting vacation destinations, and with so many awesome beaches, resorts and deals, it's easy to see why. Here on the west coast, Los Cabos is becoming increasingly popular. We get a lot of questions about what Los Cabos is like, what to do and where to stay. You can always take a quick look at our Los Cabos package online and dive into this master guide of everything you've ever wanted to know about Los Cabos. We’re always here to help you plan your perfect vacation!
Los Cabos and Cabo San Lucas Location
Where is Los Cabos? Is Cabo San Lucas and Cabo the same thing? We get it, it can be confusing. Let’s break down the details of those questions and more.
Where is Los Cabos?Los Cabos is in Mexico. More specifically it is on the southern tip of Baja California, Mexico. Baja California is part of Mexico and the peninsula is surrounded by the waters of the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of California.
Is Los Cabos, Cabo San Lucas and Cabo the same thing?Many people refer to the entire area as “Cabo.” But more specifically, there are two main areas of Los Cabos.
- Cabo San Lucas
- San Jose del Cabo
Cabo San LucasCabo San Lucas is where the cruise ships dock, so if you have been to "Cabo" on a cruise, this is where you were. Cabo San Lucas is home to the famous Lover’s Beach and Los Cabos Arch. Cabo San Lucas is a very safe, walkable town. Everything is really close and offers tons of shops, restaurants and nightlife. If you want a lot of activity and things to do close by, Cabo San Lucas is a great option for your vacation.
San Jose Del CaboSan Jose Del Cabo is where the airport is located and is much quieter than Cabo San Lucas. In fact, the entire town shuts down completely each evening. San Jose Del Cabo is very artsy with lots of galleries, a handful of historic churches, plus fun little restaurants and shops. This is also a very safe walkable downtown area, however, the downtown area is not really within walking distance to the hotel zone.If you choose to stay in San Jose Del Cabo, you would most likely want to take a taxi or shuttle to get around. If you're looking for a more relaxing vacation and don’t really want to move off the resort except for maybe a couple shopping trips here and there, this city would be perfect for your vacation. It's also a great choice if you want to mostly relax, but still would like to enjoy some of the activities in Cabo San Lucas, it’s a short 25 minutes or so by taxi.
What to Do in Los Cabos
The beach is a major draw to Los Cabos, however, it's important to know that many of the beaches in Los Cabos are not swimmable because of the undertow created by the Pacific Ocean meeting the Sea of Cortez. With that being said, there are some great swimmable beaches if you'd like to stay near one or take a day trip to one. Here's a brief overview of the swimmable beaches in Los Cabos:
- Lover’s Beach: Swimmable, only reachable by boat
- Medano Beach: Swimmable, water sports allowed
- Santa Maria Beach: Swimmable, good snorkeling spot
- Chileno Beach: Swimmable, snorkeling, scuba diving, no water sports allowed
- Playa Palmilla: Swimmable, no water sports allowed
Where to Stay in Los Cabos
Where you decide to stay will have a major impact on what type of vacation you have. We've put together a wide range of hotel recommendations in Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. Our team and recent guests recommend:
- Sandos Finisterra- All-Inclusive; more geared towards adults but still accommodating for families. You can’t beat the location, and the food is amazing. Be aware that it is not located on a swimmable beach.
- Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos- All-Inclusive; More geared towards adults but still accommodating of families. The resort itself is amazing, the food is outstanding and their customer service is one of the best. This is a good recommendation for couples and families. Be aware that it is not located on a swimmable beach.
- Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos- All-Inclusive; great for families. This hotel features great rooms and a really large pool area with plenty of activities. This hotel has a really cool sky bar with amazing views of San Jose Del Cabo, so that’s a fun little bonus attraction. This is also not located on a swimmable beach.
- Villa Del Arco- Located in Cabo on the shores of swimmable Medano Beach. Villa del Arco is a family-friendly resort that boasts spacious suites, gourmet cuisine, and the Desert Spa.
- Villa Del Palmar- Spacious suites and is the perfect escape for travelers looking for an optional all inclusive resort in Cabo San Lucas with a swimmable beach.
- Breathless- An Adults Only deluxe resort with excellent reviews but the beach is not swimmable.
- The Paradisus- Recently renovated, luxury all inclusive Paradisus Los Cabos sits alongside a stunning beach with amazing views of the Sea of Cortés.
- Pueblo Bonito Los Cabos - Mediterranean-style resort in Cabo San Lucas overlooking the swimmable Sea of Cortés.
- Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa - Located on a 2.5 Mile stretch of pristine white beach on the Pacific Ocean, just one mile from lively downtown Cabo San Lucas. Beach is not swimmable.
- Dreams Los Cabos- Picture-perfect oceanfront getaway at this all-inclusive resort set along the Sea of Cortez. Although it does not have a swimmable beach it is very popular among our guests.
Book Your Los Cabos Vacation
We hope this answers everything you want to know about pre-planning your Los Cabos vacation. Our team is always available to help you book the best Mexico vacation for your group. Call us at 855-GET-AWAY or you can also browse our Los Cabos package online. We'll always help you find the best deal on your Los Cabos vacation!
Join the Conversation!Leave A Comment