San Diego is one of my favorite destinations year-round, but it's especially appealing to me this time of year. Snow packed streets, grey skies and freezing temps are found all over the country. But San Diego has clear skies, warm weather, and of course gorgeous beaches. It's a complete escape from the doom and gloom of winter. But that's not all. San Diego is an ideal vacation destination for couples, families and friends with so many world-class attractions all in one city. There is so much to see and do that we've narrowed it down to help you plan your perfect vacation. Here are our top 10 things not to miss in San Diego:
1. SeaWorld San Diego: A visit to SeaWorld is always inspiring with hands-on exhibits, fun-filled (both hilarious and educational) shows and thrilling rides. Our staff has been behind-the-scenes at SeaWorld and seen firsthand all of the incredible good that they do. If you'd like to learn more about what SeaWorld does, we encourage you to visit SeaWorld Cares.
2. San Diego Zoo: See what makes the San Diego Zoo world famous as they celebrate their 100th anniversary in 2016! Plus, the San Diego Zoo is one of only a handful of zoos on earth where you can see giant pandas and koalas. Our tickets include admission to all exhibits, most shows, a guided bus tour, use of the express bus, and a round trip ride on the Skyfari. You can upgrade to behind-the-scenes options at the Zoo if you'd like an up close encounter with some of the animals.
3. San Diego Zoo Safari Park: You'll feel like you've traveled across the world when you visit the unique exhibits like Tiger Trails and Lion Camp, then climb aboard the Journey Into Africa Tour through the savannas. Or, upgrade your ticket when you get to the park to include a zip line adventure, an obstacle course through the trees, a hot air balloon ride, or an up-close caravan tour.
4. LEGOLAND California: “Build” memories with your family with over 60 LEGO themed rides, shows, and attractions, including the world's first LEGO themed water park. See the actual set from The LEGO Movie, explore the LEGO Friends Heartlake City, and check out the all new Ninjago attraction with never before seen special effects, coming to LEGOLAND this spring.
5. Bay tour: View San Diego from the water for a completely new perspective of the city. Cruise aboard a yacht, speedboat or even an amphibious vehicle! We highly recommend Flagship Cruises for both one and two hour cruises and a fast paced Patriot Jet Boat Ride, or the San Diego SEAL Tour.
6. Old Town Trolley Tour: See the best of San Diego aboard this entertaining and informative tour which lets you stop at Old Town, Seaport Village, Balboa Park, and other hot spots. It's a great way to begin your vacation and get acquainted with the city.
7. Over 70 Miles of Beaches: From the hustle and bustle of Mission Beach to the tranquil beauty of Coronado, no trip to San Diego is complete without soaking up the sun at one or more of San Diego's famous beaches. We recommend checking out our 20 best beach tips, activities and crafts to get you prepped for you San Diego vacation.
8. Balboa Park: You could spend days exploring Balboa Park with its sprawling botanical gardens - most free and open 365 days a year,15 museums ranging from science to art and everything in between, live theatre and performances - including free organ concerts each Sunday afternoon, and so much more.
9. Shopping and Dining: San Diego is full of outstanding shopping and dining districts for every taste. From high end shopping to outlet malls, fine dining to food trucks, San Diego has it all.
10. Catch a Game: Whether you are hitting a round of golf at one of the 90+ golf courses, or cheering from the stands at a San Diego Padres or Chargers game, or routing for your favorite college team at a bowl game, San Diego is a sports lover’s dream come true. Check out our partner Zippy Seats for the best deal on San Diego sports and event tickets.
As you're making plans for the New Year, make space on your calendar for a San Diego vacation. We'd love to help you find the perfect hotel and discount attraction tickets for your San Diego vacation. You can book your San Diego vacation package online or call our agents at 855-GET-AWAY.
Check out these other great articles:
Stay and Play on Mission Bay - San Diego Family Trips
5 Patriotic Things to do in San Diego with Kids
10 Things To Do With Toddlers at SeaWorld