UPDATED FEBRUARY 24, 2020: Character Dining at Disneyland is one of the highlights of a Disneyland vacation, but there are some things you must know. We've broken it down for you into 12 things you need to know about Character Dining at Disneyland.
12 Things You Need to Know About Character Dining at Disneyland
When planning your Disneyland vacation, you'll definitely want to make plans for Character Dining. Before you do that though, here are 12 things you need to know about Character Dining at Disneyland.
Character Dining Reservations
1. They sell out. Character Dining at Disneyland is very popular, and part of that reason is the intimate atmosphere. In order to really get one-on-one time with your favorite characters, Disney limits the amount of reservations they accept for Character Dining time slots. Character Dining at Disneyland can be booked 60 days in advance, and if you're traveling during a busier travel time, you'll want to follow that 60 day guideline.
2. You can make a reservation online or over the phone. Reservations for Character Dining at Disneyland are easy to make on Disneyland's website or by calling 714-781-3463 (DINE). We prefer making reservations online because you'll be able to browse available times for each of your date choices. It helps to be a little bit flexible. Reservations become available 60 days prior to your vacation at 7am PT.
3. You'll need to hold your reservation with a credit card, even if you're planning on using cash or a different card at the time of payment. You won't be charged anything unless you no-show for your reservation. If that happens, you will be charged $10 per person.
Character Dining Photos
4. You'll want your camera handy at all times. If there's one thing Character Dining is at Disneyland, it's unpredictable in the best possible way. You never know who you'll meet or what crazy antics the characters will be up to.
Which Characters Can You Meet at Character Dining?
5. Not all characters are guaranteed... unless it's "their" restaurant. For example, Goofy will ALWAYS be at Goofy's Kitchen. Minnie will ALWAYS be at Breakfast with Minnie and Friends inside the Plaza Inn on Main Street. Donald will ALWAYS be at Donald's Seaside Breakfast at the Paradise Pier Hotel and Mickey will always be at Mickey's Tales of Adventure Breakfast at the Storyteller's Cafe.
6. Looking for Stitch or Mickey Mouse outside of the Parks? The ONLY place Stitch can be found outside of the Parks is Donald's Seaside Breakfast Buffet at the PCH Grill in the Paradise Pier Hotel. Additionally, the only place Mickey is guaranteed outside of the Parks is Mickey's Tales of Adventure Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.
Character Dining Menus
7. Character Dining experiences are all you care to eat and drink. Character Dining at Disneyland is in part so great because everything (except alcoholic beverages) is included. All Character Dining options are currently buffet style, which means you'll be able to eat as much as your heart desires. And with all kinds of food options available, you won't want to stop at a single plate!
Minnie & Friends – Breakfast in the Park Menu
This all-you-care-to-enjoy experience includes many family favorites such as omelets, Mickey-shaped waffles, French toast, eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy, fruit, and hot or cold cereals.
Donald Duck’s Seaside Breakfast Menu
At this all-you-care-to-enjoy buffet, you can build your own parfait stations, pick your choice of eggs and find chilaquiles, chicken and waffles, smoked salmon, Mickey-shaped waffles, Minnie-shaped pancakes and more.
Donald Duck’s Seaside Brunch Menu
The brunch menu includes breakfast options as well as rotating entrees, beignets, bread pudding and more.
Goofy’s Kitchen Breakfast Menu
Enjoy made-to-order omelets, Mickey-shaped waffles and pancakes, French toast, sausage, bacon, eggs Benedict, frittata, glazed ham, smoked salmon, pastries, fresh fruit, chicken and fresh veggies. You’ll also find Goofy’s peanut butter and jelly pizza.
Goofy’s Kitchen Dinner Menu
Dinner at Goofy’s kitchen includes a carving station, fresh catch of the day, seasonal vegetables, chilled tossed salads, mac & cheese, grilled hot dogs and assorted pizzas. The dessert options may include bread pudding and more.
Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Breakfast Menu
Find made-to-order omelets, Mickey-shaped waffles, baked goods, fresh fruit and more at this Character Dining option.
Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Brunch Menu
The brunch menu includes the same offerings as breakfast, with added carving stations and rotational entrees.
Disney Princess Adventure Breakfast
Starters include citrus and vanilla buns with raspberry glaze, assorted fruit and berries. The main course offerings range from mac ‘n’ cheese, princess waffles and barbecue beef sliders. Save room for desserts such as chocolate princess cake pops, petite raspberry tarts, seashell macarons, sorbet and more.
8. Kids ages two and under eat for free at Disney Character Dining. Yay! But, like with the park tickets, kids 10 and older will need an adult ticket to attend. Don't worry; it's worth it.
Character Dining Options at Disneyland
9. There are five different Character Dining options to choose from at the Disneyland Resort. Breakfast with Minnie & Friends is located inside Disneyland and you'll need a valid theme park admission to get in, even with a reservation. Each of the hotels offer a Character Dining experience as well, so if you don't have a park ticket for your last morning, you could plan a Character Breakfast at one of the hotels to extend that vacation magic just a little bit longer. You can make reservations at the following hotels:
Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel Character Dining
Donald Duck’s Seaside Breakfast at the PCH Grill
- Breakfast 7am - 11:25am
- Brunch 11:30am - 1pm
- It’s important to note that dinner is served at PCH Grill, but it does not include Character visits.
The Disneyland Hotel Character Dining
- Breakfast 7am - 12pm
- Dinner 4pm - 9pm
Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Character Dining
Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Breakfast at Storyteller’s Cafe
- Breakfast 7am - 11:25am
- Brunch 11:30am - 2pm
- It’s important to note that dinner is served at Storyteller’s Cafe, but it does not include Character visits.
Disney Princess Adventures Breakfast at Napa Rose
- Breakfast 8am - 12pm
10. There's at least one Character Dining choice available almost any time of day. All five Character Dining options at Disneyland serve breakfast, but you can also enjoy lunch and dinner at select options if breakfast isn't your thing. Over in Goofy's Kitchen and Mickey's Tales of Adventure, you'll find breakfast that well extends into lunch hours during most of the year. With items like pizza and fried chicken available, it's easy to call it a lunch. Goofy's Kitchen is the only Character Dining at Disneyland that serves dinner nightly.
11. One of our favorite things about Character Dining at Disneyland is that you can easily view the menu ahead of time. This is perfect if you have children who are picky eaters and are worried about spending money on something they won't enjoy! You can find the menus for each Character Dining location on Disneyland's website or via the official Disneyland app on your phone.
How Much Does Character Dining Cost at Disneyland?
12. It's also important to know that prices fluctuate depending both on the Character Dining you pick and the time of year you are visiting. Typically, the dinner option at Goofy's Kitchen is more expensive while Minnie & Friends and Mickey's Tales of Adventure have currently shown some of the lowest pricing. If you're traveling during peak times (summer, holidays, etc.) you'll likely notice that prices are a bit more as well.
Bonus Tip: If you're celebrating a birthday, anniversary or something special, make sure to let the staff know. You can do this when you make your reservation over the phone or when you check in. You'll be surprised with a fun treat (usually a cupcake or something similar) decorated for the event. It's just another example of that special Disney magic!
No matter which Character Dining at Disneyland you choose, you're in for an experience that you'll remember forever. Make sure to make Character Dining a part of your Disneyland vacation and book up to 60 days in advance. If you haven't booked your Disneyland vacation package yet, we'd love to help with that! All of our Disneyland packages can be booked online, or you can call our agents at 855-GET-AWAY.