UPDATED MAY 2023. When planning your Disneyland Resort vacation, you'll definitely want to make time for Character Dining. Before you reserve your spot for Character Dining, here are 12 things you need to know about Character Dining at Disneyland.
Disneyland Character Dining Reservations
1. They sell out fast. Character Dining at Disneyland is very popular, and part of that reason is the intimate atmosphere.
In order to really get one-on-one time with your favorite characters, Disney limits the amount of reservations they accept for Character Dining time slots. Character Dining at Disneyland can be booked 60 days in advance, and if you're traveling during a busier travel time, you'll want to follow that 60-day guideline.
We recommend using this free dining alert system to secure Disneyland Character Dining reservations.
2. You can make a reservation online or through the Disneyland app. We prefer making reservations via this dining alert link so you can also browse available times for each of your date choices. It helps to be a little bit flexible. Reservations become available 60 days prior to your vacation.
3. You'll need to hold your reservation with a credit card, even if you're planning on using cash or a different card at the time of payment. You won't be charged anything unless you no-show for your reservation. If that happens, you will be charged $10 per person. Cancelation periods vary but will be noted at the time of booking.
4. Kids ages two and under eat for free at Disney Character Dining. Yay! But, like with the park tickets, kids 10 and older will need an adult ticket to attend. Don't worry; it's worth it.
5. You'll want your camera handy at all times. If there's one thing Character Dining is at Disneyland, it's unpredictable in the best possible way. You never know who you'll meet or what crazy antics the characters will be up to.
Which Characters Can You Meet at Character Dining?
6. Not all characters are guaranteed... unless it's "their" restaurant. For example, Goofy will ALWAYS be at Goofy's Kitchen. Minnie will ALWAYS be at Breakfast with Minnie and Friends inside the Plaza Inn on Main Street and Mickey will always be at Mickey's Tales of Adventure Breakfast at the Storytellers Cafe.
7. Mickey Mouse outside of the Parks? The ONLY place Mickey is guaranteed outside of the Parks is Mickey's Tales of Adventure Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa.
Character Dining Menus
8. Character Dining experiences are all you care to eat and drink. Character Dining at Disneyland is in part so great because everything (except alcoholic beverages) is included. All Character Dining options are currently buffet style, which means you'll be able to eat as much as your heart desires. And with all kinds of food options available, you won't want to stop at a single plate!
Minnie & Friends – Breakfast in the Park Menu
Goofy’s Kitchen Breakfast Menu
Goofy’s Kitchen Dinner Menu
Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Breakfast Menu
Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Brunch Menu
Disney Princess Adventure Breakfast Menu
Character Dining Options at Disneyland
9. There are four different Character Dining options to choose from at the Disneyland Resort. Breakfast with Minnie & Friends is located inside Disneyland and you'll need a valid theme park admission to get in, even with a dining reservation.
Most of the onsite hotels offer a Character Dining experience as well, so if you don't have a park ticket for your last morning, you could plan a Character Breakfast at one of the hotels to extend that vacation magic just a little bit longer. You can make reservations at the following hotels:
- The Disneyland Hotel Character Dining at Goofy’s Kitchen
- Breakfast 7:00 am - 12:00 pm PT
- Dinner 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm PT
- Goofy’s Kitchen is closed for lunch.
- Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Character Dining Mickey’s Tales of Adventure Breakfast at Storytellers Cafe
- Breakfast 7:00 am - 11:25 am PT
- Brunch 11:30 am - 2:00 pm PT
If your dining time overlaps both breakfast and brunch, you can remain in the dining area but will see a slight shift of buffet options during the transition. It’s also important to note that dinner is served at Storytellers Cafe, but it does not include character visits.
- Disney Princess Adventures Breakfast at Napa Rose
- Breakfast 8am - 12pm
Disney Princess Adventures is the longest Character Dining option and takes about 2 hours from start to finish. Please note that Napa Rose is open for dinner but does not include character visits.
10. There's at least one Character Dining choice available almost any time of day. All Character Dining options at Disneyland Resort serve breakfast, but you can also enjoy brunch or dinner at select options if breakfast isn't your thing.
Over in Goofy's Kitchen and Mickey's Tales of Adventure, you'll find breakfast that well extends into lunch hours during most of the year. With items like pizza and fried chicken available, it's easy to call it a lunch. Goofy's Kitchen is the only Character Dining at Disneyland that serves dinner nightly.
11. One of our favorite things about Character Dining at Disneyland is that you can easily view the menu ahead of time. This is perfect if you have children who are picky eaters and are worried about spending money on something they won't enjoy! You can find the menus for each Character Dining location on Disneyland's website or via the official Disneyland app on your phone.
How Much Does Character Dining Cost at Disneyland?
12. It's also important to know that prices fluctuate depending both on the Character Dining you pick and the time of year you are visiting. Typically, the dinner option at Goofy's Kitchen is more expensive while Minnie & Friends and Mickey's Tales of Adventure have currently shown some of the lowest pricing. If you're traveling during peak times (summer, holidays, etc.) you'll likely notice that prices are a bit more as well.
When you see prices listed as a range, it usually indicates childrens pricing at the lower end (ages 3-9) and adult pricing at the higher end (ages 10+). Children 2 and under are free but must be included in the guest count.
Bonus Tip: If you're celebrating a birthday, anniversary or something special, make sure to let the staff know. You can do this when you make your reservation or when you check in. You'll be surprised with a fun treat (usually a cupcake or something similar) decorated for the event. It's just another example of that special Disney magic!
No matter which Character Dining at Disneyland you choose, you're in for an experience that you'll remember forever. Make sure to make Character Dining a part of your Disneyland vacation and book up to 60 days in advance.
If you haven't booked your Disneyland vacation package yet, we'd love to help with that! All of our Disneyland packages can be booked online, or you can call our agents at 855-GET-AWAY.
Join the Conversation!Leave A Comment
Get Away TodayJuly 13 2019
Luke- You certainly can! It can be done via the Disneyland app, or you can use the Disney website to make those reservations.
LukeJuly 12 2019
If I’m not staying at any of the park hotels, can I still make reservations for their cafes, restaurants etc?
Get Away TodayMarch 16 2019
Alyssa- Disney hasn't released any information about the possibility of bringing back the Get Away Today Character Dining vouchers. If we get any information regarding that, we will be sure to share!
AlyssaMarch 15 2019
Are you still expecting to get Character Dining Vouchers at some point this year? Or are they discontinuing them?
Get Away TodayDecember 07 2018
Hi Barbara, We don't have 2019 Character Dining tickets available. We will make sure to announce them as soon as we do.
BarbaraDecember 06 2018
Hello, are 2019 character dining tickets available?
Get Away TodayOctober 22 2018
If you select standard shipping, they will be shipped regular mail. If you'd like to pick them up at the park, you can call our office at 855-GET-AWAY and any of our agents would be happy to set that up for you. :)
Tiffany October 19 2018
Hi! So if we purchase the dining vouchers and select standard shipping, does that mean we pick them up at the park or will they be shipped to us? The only options I see is the free standard shipping or $20 fedex delivery. Thanks!
Get Away TodaySeptember 28 2018
Hi Sabrina, Yes, brunch is covered. If you'd like the tickets mailed, you'll have to pay international shipping. Otherwise, we can set them up to be picked up at any ticket window with free delivery. We're happy to help either way. :)
SabrinaSeptember 28 2018
Hi there, We would like to get tickets for Mickey’s tale of adventure weekend brunch at storyteller’s cafe. Is the brunch covered by the regular character breakfast tickets? Also, we live in New Zealand. Is it possible to send us the tickets? Many thanks! Sabrina
Get Away TodayJune 27 2018
Hi Sam! You'll want to check on reservation space - there's likely a few spots, but we suggest checking before purchasing your vouchers. You can do this on Disneyland's website (click the Character Dining option under the "Things to Do" tab) or by calling 714-781-3463. Once you've made the reservation, you can give our agents a call at 855-438-2929 and add Character Dining vouchers to your package.
SamJune 25 2018
Hi. We are a party of 6 arriving July 1 until July 8 and really would like to do breakfast with Minnie. No one told us about this otherwise we would have booked it. Is it too late? Regards.
Get Away TodayMay 02 2018
Hi Michelle, You can find character dining tickets here: https://www.getawaytoday.com/tickets/disneylandresortarea/characterdining. Or, you can always call our agents at 855-GET-AWAY. Thanks!
Michelle HMay 02 2018
I have looked on your website but dont see options for just character dining tickets!!??we have everything else we need already...going in Oct!!!!
Get Away TodayFebruary 19 2018
Hi Rene, this is Lex from Get Away Today. My husband and I also have no kids and go to a Character Dining meal every trip! It's not weird at all and we often see many couples without kids dining and taking pictures as well. :) Let us know if you have any other questions!
ReneFebruary 18 2018
Hi, My husband and I are going to Disneyland in May, just the two of us. I would like to do a Character Dinning, and take pictures with the characters. Is that done often? Or is that weird? We don't have kids and this trip no family is going with us......
Get Away TodayFebruary 14 2018
Hi Juanita! Regular Character Dining tickets are only good for use at the Chip and Dale's Critter Breakfast and Minnie and Friends Breakfast. Goofy's Kitchen and Surf's Up with Mickey and Friends both require Premium Character Dining tickets. You can always call in at 855-GET-AWAY to have us upgrade your tickets to Premium. :)
JuanitaFebruary 13 2018
Hi! We just purchased the Regular Character Dining, and on the page where we purchased the tickets, it stated that they were only valid at Chip and Dale's and Minnie's place, but I just read through this, and it sounded like the regular dining tickets could also be used at Goofy's? Is that correct? Thank you!
Get Away TodayFebruary 13 2018
Hi Bekah! Currently, there is not a princess-centered Character Dining experience in Disneyland. We are hoping they add one since Ariel's Grotto is closed, but haven't had any word quite yet. We'll let you know as soon as anything is announced!
BekahFebruary 12 2018
Is there ANY princess dining at Disneyland now, or is it only fur? Our first Disneyland trip is in April and we were looking forward to meeting some princesses.
Get Away TodayDecember 19 2017
Hi Nathan! Disney has not released whether they will be moving the Princess Character Dining experience or not. We hope they do and will make sure to announce as soon as we hear. :)
NathanDecember 18 2017
Any ideas on if there will be an option to dine with the Princesses in April of 2018 with Ariel's Grotto closing?
Get Away TodayNovember 02 2017
Hi Darc, Good questions. The characters rotate throughout the day and there is no schedule. The only character who is guaranteed at Goofy's Kitchen is Goofy. But there are always a good rotation, and you'll likely meet 5-10 characters during any given character dining reservation.
DarcNovember 02 2017
At Goofy's Kitchen, do the characters appear at certain times throughout the day? Or is it guaranteed that you will get to meet characters no matter what time you're there?
Get Away TodaySeptember 29 2017
Hi Lorraine! We'd recommend checking the park hours before you go. If the park opens at 8 that morning then you will have plenty of time to grab your vouchers from the ticket booth with your photo ID. If not, it may be a good idea to pick them up the night before so you have them in hand and ready to go. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
Lorraine Hopley September 29 2017
We have booked Ariels grotto for Sunday 26th at 9. Would we have time before breaky to pick up our vouchers? And where from do we collect them?
Get Away TodaySeptember 13 2017
Hi Toni! You would need valid park admission for the day that you dine at Ariel's Grotto. If you have a Park Hopper ticket, you'll be able to go between the two parks without a problem that day. If you have a 1-Park per Day ticket, you will need to make sure you are visiting Disney California Adventure that day. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)
ToniSeptember 12 2017
Hi i had a question. We are going to be in disney land for my daughters birthday in oct and wanted to do the character dining at ariels grotto would we need to be in California adventure that day or could we just go to the restaurant for lunch?
Get Away TodayAugust 31 2017
Hi Symantha and happy birthday to your little one! Since the characters are subject to change at every dining location, Disney does not list the characters that will be at each meal. It's possible you would see different character, but can't be guaranteed. The only way to be sure to see different characters would be to eat at a different location. Please let us know if you have any other questions!
Symantha August 30 2017
My family was there in August and we are headed back in December for my child's birthday. Is there a way to tell if we do a character meal again that we will see different characters, but eat at the same location?
Get Away TodayMarch 16 2017
Hi Jessica! You will want to call our agents at 855-GET-AWAY to purchase those character dining vouchers and then Disney Dining to make the reservation if you haven't done so already. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)
Jessica TavaresMarch 15 2017
We need tickets for May 19, 2017 for The Character Breakfast at the Plaza Inn. My daughter already went thru you guys for our hotel and Disneyland entrance. But we need tickets for 4 adults, 1 for a 7 yr. old, and 1 for a 2 yr. old. How should she do this. She called Getawaytoday for the rooms and Disneyland tickets. Should she call for these?