UPDATED NOVEMBER 2023. What is the best age for LEGOLAND is one of the questions we get asked the most often for this Carlsbad based theme park. LEGOLAND may have been built with kids ages 2 - 12 in mind, but LEGOLAND appeals to a much broader audience.
We break down what is best at LEGOLAND for each age group and throw in a few bonus tips along the way. But first, the very best bonus tip is to get your discount LEGOLAND tickets right here with Get Away Today.
What is the best age for LEGOLAND?
You may have heard that LEGOLAND California Resort is just for little kids. LEGOLAND is definitely awesome for little kids, but that's not all. There is a wide range of experiences suited for any age group. Today we’re sharing what is best for each age group and pair it with what LEGOLAND attractions and experiences they'll enjoy the most.
Best Age for LEGOLAND - 2 and Under
If you have really little kids, there are so many engaging attractions and experiences with no height or age requirement.
Some of our favorites LEGOLAND attractions for babies include:
- DUPLO Playtown: Even the youngest tykes will love playing in, climbing on and exploring around the DUPLO Playtown. It is the brightest, most adorable playground ever. Your kids will love playing in the larger than life versions of their favorite DUPLO toys. Parents will love the views, especially since the DUPLO Playtown is now located on the ridge and overlooks Miniland U.S.A.
- Dig Those Dinos: This is essentially one giant sand box, but with giant fossils. Even if your babies are too young to use the tools to uncover dinosaur bones, they'll love playing in the sand.
- LEGO CITY: Deep Sea Adventure. This attraction is great for the whole family, but babies in particular will be mesmerized by the real fish swimming right in front of their eyes. Your whole family boards a submarine and goes on a voyage through a giant aquarium with all sorts of fish and fun LEGO surprises.
- Mia's Riding Camp: Babies and kids will love the adorable carousel located in LEGO Friends Heartlake City. There is no height requirement and usually minimal wait times.
BONUS TIPS for 2 and Under at LEGOLAND
If you're traveling with babies and older kids, you may want to use the rider swap option. When you get to the front of an attraction, an adult can ride with one or more children (depending on the attraction) who meet the height requirement. The other adult will stay back with the baby for the first round. Then when the first group gets back, the second adult can ride with the kid(s) while the first adult stays with the baby.
Another great space in LEGOLAND’s Baby Care Center. Baby Care Center is centrally located in the Fun Town area of the Park, close to Driving School and Urban Kitchen. Here you will find a baby-changing area with rocking chairs for nursing mothers, as well as a refrigerator and microwave for preparing a baby's meal.
They also have LEGOs for other kids to play with while you’re taking care of the baby. There is also a nice First Aid station available to park visitors. If you get a bump or a scrape, they will fix your right up!
Best Age for LEGOLAND - Preschoolers
While many of the attractions and areas that are awesome for babies are also great for preschoolers, there are additional attractions we love for this slightly older age group.
Some of our favorites LEGOLAND attractions for preschoolers include:
- Safari Trek: One of our favorite attractions for preschoolers is the Safari Trek. You'll climb into your own Jeep and then go on a safari where you'll spot all sorts of LEGO animals.
- Fairy Tale Brook: This attraction has no height requirement, so it's good for babies too. However, we especially love it for preschoolers because it highlights many of the fairy tales that they are just learning like Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs... all in LEGO bricks of course.
- Junior Driving School: Kids ages 3 - 5 get to DRIVE THEIR OWN CAR. Yes, really. It is by far the highlight of most preschoolers’ time at LEGOLAND. As a child, they’ll likely never stop talking about how they got to drive and got their own driver's license. As a parent, it is hilarious to watch these tiny kids try to figure out how to not crash into each other and steer in a slow, safe environment.
BONUS TIP for Preschoolers at LEGOLAND
If your preschooler (or older) has a hard time waiting in lines, LEGOLAND has your back. The most genius thing in all of LEGOLAND are the LEGO play areas located in the ride queues.
Your kids can build with LEGOs while Mom and Dad wait in line—all in view of the play area. When the parents get to the front of the line, the kids can come over and ride. It helps restless kids stay busy and keeps parents relaxed while waiting. It's a win-win.
Best Age for LEGOLAND - 6 - 9 Years Old
If there is a prime age for LEGOLAND, the 6 - 9 age group would likely fit the bill. There are almost no height requirements they won't reach, and there is so much to do!
Some of our favorites LEGOLAND attractions for 6 - 9 year olds include:
- The Dragon Coaster: This is a perfect introductory roller coaster for kids, and is legitimately fun. You'll start by going through a LEGO castle, then blast off on a wild ride around the castle grounds. The ride also takes a photo of your family during the ride (available for purchase)!
- Driving School: Don't worry, if you have older kids (ages 6-13), they too can drive their own car. This is another trackless drive, but the track is bigger, the kids can go faster, and it's just really cool.
- LEGO NINJAGO - The Ride: There is no height requirement for LEGO NINJAGO - The Ride, however, we think the gamification of the attraction makes it a perfect fit for the 6 - 9 years age group. It's one that your kids will want to ride again and again because they are actually part of the attraction. Plus, what 6 - 9 year old doesn't love NINJAGO?
Best Age for LEGOLAND - 10 - 12 Years Old
There is quite a bit at LEGOLAND for older kids, particularly those who grew up loving LEGOs. Regardless of whether or not your family are hardcore LEGO fans, these attractions are sure to be a hit with the 10 - 12 year old crowd.
Some of our favorites LEGOLAND attractions for 10 - 12 year olds include:
- LEGO TECHNIC Coaster: This is truly a thrilling roller coaster that is perfect for tweens—and they can even ride it without Mom or Dad. It makes them feel very grown-up.
- Water Parks: I don't know a pre-teen who doesn't LOVE a water park. And the LEGOLAND California Resort has one of the best. There are two separate parts of the water park; LEGOLAND Water Park and LEGO CHIMA Water Park. Kids of all ages, but especially 10 - 12 year olds, will love racing down water slides, building their own LEGO rafts for the lazy river, hanging out in the wave pool and more.
BONUS TIP for 10 - 12 year olds at LEGOLAND
Always check the official LEGOLAND calendar before planning your vacation to make sure the Water Park is open if you want to make sure you get to go. The Water Park is open most days during the summer and on weekends beginning in spring and going through October.
In order to get into the Water Park, you must have LEGOLAND admission, so your best bet is to purchase one of our Park Hopper tickets that includes admission to both.
Best Age for LEGOLAND - Teenagers
While many of the rides at LEGOLAND California may be considered tame, there are a few stand-outs that will impress even the most discerning teens.
Some of our favorites LEGOLAND attractions for Teens include:
- Knight's Tournament: Because this attraction lets you set your own intensity level, you can really kick it up a notch. Riders are strapped in as a giant robot arm! It shakes, drops and twists you all around a LEGO dragon and moat. If you want a really wild ride, select the top setting. Just watching this attraction will get your heart pumping! This attraction has a maximum height of 5'4" and weight of 220 lbs.
- LEGO Star Wars: If you have a Star Wars fan in your family, they'll love the intricate Star Wars replicas made of LEGO bricks. Even teenagers will be impressed with the detail of the recreated scenes from the iconic film series.
Best Age for LEGOLAND - Every Age
From babies to grandparents, there are some attractions that are sure to appeal to everyone in your group, regardless of age.
Here are just a few of our favorite LEGOLAND attractions for every age:
- Miniland U.S.A.: One of the most impressive points in all of LEGOLAND is Miniland U.S.A., a recreation of our country's most famous cities. No matter the age, everyone will want to spend a good amount of time strolling through amazingly detailed LEGO versions of Las Vegas, San Francisco, New Orleans, Washington, D.C., New York and more. There are interactive buttons that kids (and kids at heart) will love to push and see what happens.
- Coast Cruise: For scenic views of more famous landmarks, everyone will love the Coast Cruise. You'll sail by places like Mount Rushmore, the Taj Mahal and the Eiffel Tower.
- LEGO Show Place Theater: Step inside for three different shows that rotate throughout the day: THE LEGO MOVIE 4D A New Adventure, LEGO NINJAGO Master of the 4th Dimension and LEGO CITY 4D Officer in Pursuit. You can pick one or watch all three; just be sure to check the schedule to make sure you get to watch your first choice.
BONUS TIP for Every Age at LEGOLAND
Download the official LEGOLAND app before you arrive at the park. You'll be able to see wait times, which is huge for making your day awesome. You can also get special offers while you're in the park just by checking the app.
How to Book Your LEGOLAND Vacation
We hope you see that any age is the best age for LEGOLAND California! When you're ready to bring the whole family, we're ready to help. We love helping vacation dreams come true, and that starts the moment you decide to go.
For the most immersive and relaxing experience, we recommend staying at either the LEGOLAND Hotel or the LEGOLAND Castle Hotel.. Both are on-property and offer exclusive perks for guests. We also have everything from value to luxury area hotels that fit any budget.
No matter where you decide to stay, we have all of our LEGOLAND packages available online. Or, you can call our agents at 855-GET-AWAY for personalized help from our vacation experts.