When Does Marvel Land Open in Disneyland?
While we don’t yet know the exact open date for Avengers Campus, we do know that Disney has said Phase 1 will debut summer 2020. Much like when we awaited the opening of Galaxy’s Edge, we have some ideas about this new Marvel-themed area of the Resort.
When Does Marvel Land Open in Disneyland? - Our Guess
As mentioned, we don’t know when Avengers Campus opens but we have a guess! Although the new land is expected to be quite an immersive Marvel experience, we’re hopeful Disney will have Avengers Campus Phase 1 ready for an early summer 2020 reveal. However, this is still pretty vague; summer 2020 could mean May or June!
Did you know part of Avengers Campus in Disney California Adventure Park is already open? That’s right! Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! is part of the Marvel-ous master plan for this new land. It opened in 2018, inviting guests to join Rocket on a mission to break out the rest of the Guardians from The Collector’s Fortress. We know this attraction was met with mixed feelings (because people LOVED The Tower of Terror attraction), but hopefully the change now makes a lot more sense. All along, Disney was planning to create an entire new experience in California Adventure with Guardians serving as an anchor attraction.
Marvel Land Location
In addition to wondering when Marvel Land opens, some guests are asking where it will be located. If you haven’t been to the Disneyland Resort lately, you may not have seen the walls that went up around the former A Bug’s Land at Disney California Adventure Park. As you enjoy this part of the Park, you can catch glimpses of Marvel Land construction, especially in Cars Land.
Behind Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree and Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters, you can spot the cranes and the framework of the structures that will house the attractions, dining and merchandise in Avengers Campus.
Photo courtesy of Disney Parks blog
From the mock-ups we’ve seen so far, it looks like there will be an entrance at the Spider-Man attraction (formerly the entrance to A Bug’s Land) as well as an entrance from Cars Land and Hollywood Land. It looks like it will be fairly accessible, and we’re really excited that Cars Land will have another way out again soon!
Marvel Land Attractions
- Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! - This existing ride in Disney California Adventure Park is already open and invites you to experience the thrill of a rescue mission. The queue offers a glimpse inside The Collector’s fortress, and you can browse strange curios including a Cocoon of Unknown Origin, Cosmo the Spacedog, Asgardian weapons, eyeballs and even an appearance from Stan Lee (the creator of many Marvel characters). The queue gives you lots to explore as you await instruction from Rocket regarding the mission, and you may even spot relics from the former Tower of Terror Ride. Outside the ride itself, look for the Avengers hatch; it has been there to give us a clue that more Marvel is coming to Disney California Adventure.
- During Halloween Time at Disneyland Resort, Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! enjoys a temporary overlay every night. It becomes Guardians of the Galaxy - Monsters After Dark, which is a mission to rescue Groot after he's accidentally left behind. Since all the creatures in the Collector's fortress have broken out, it's your job to retrieve Groot and keep him safe!
- Worldwide Engineering Brigade - This new building will house the Spider-Man ride. Touted as a tour of the WEB facility, when you enter you’ll learn about the Web Slinger vehicle you’ll board for the 3D ride. Pay attention because you’re going to be recruited to help capture Spider Bots that are now on the loose. The concept art shared by Disney shows references to Pym Technologies, SHIELD, Stark Industries, Black Panther and more throughout this new Spider-Man attraction. This ride is being compared to Toy Story Midway Mania!, but instead of shooting virtual balls, darts and rings at toys, targets, etc… you’re slinging webs.
- W.E.B. Suppliers - Located across from the WEB building, Spidey merchandise will be available for purchase at W.E.B. Suppliers. We anticipate it will be much like the gift shop located at the exit of Guardians of the Galaxy, which has a great mix of Marvel-themed items, including apparel, toys, pins, costumes, books and more.
- Dr. Strange Show - It sounds like Disney California Adventure Park is going to become home to a Sanctum for Dr. Strange. We hope we’ll be able to explore the ruins of the California Sanctum before learning about the multiverse from Dr. Strange in a live show.
- Heroic Encounters - Of course, Avengers Campus wouldn’t be complete without the opportunity to meet some of our favorite heroes! You can currently meet many Marvel characters in Disney California Adventure, but we think the Heroic Encounters will be more of a focal point in this new land. Rumor has it Black Widow, Ant-Man and The Wasp, Doctor Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Wakandans, Asgardians and Iron Man will all be available for Heroic meet and greets in Avengers Campus. Some Disney and Marvel fans expect the Avengers will be seen walking throughout the new Campus and won't be relegated solely to meet and greet areas.
- Avengers Headquarters Building (Phase 2) - In the future (beyond 2020) when Phase 2 of Marvel Land opens, Disney will unveil the Avengers Headquarters Building. It will house a Quinjet mission to Wakanda that brings you face to face with the Avengers’ number one enemy. We theorize, like many others, that you’ll be battling Thanos on this ride. What do you think? The technology for this ride is rumored to be more advanced than anything Disney has released yet. From the concept art we’ve seen and the endless discussions we’ve had with other Marvel fans, we think you’ll find yourself wearing something like a jetpack that combines with 3D-4D elements to put you in the middle of the action. We hope it feels like we’re flying through battle and helping the Avengers defeat the likes of Thanos! This is being touted as an E-Ticket Attraction, which means something exceptionally immersive and thrilling. This lingo dates back to when Disneyland accepted actual coupon tickets for rides and they were organized in different categories.
Marvel Land Restaurants
- Pym Test Kitchen/Ant-Man Microbrewery - What kind of food will Pym Text Kitchen offer when Avengers Campus opens? We don’t yet know anything for sure, but we’re betting there will be a play on sizing; Pym Technology is what was used to create the suits worn by Ant-Man and The Wasp, allowing them to shrink and grow at the touch of a button. We hope the menu will reflect the Marvelverse, like Oga’s Cantina in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. In addition to the atmosphere making you feel like you’re in Pym Labs, wouldn’t it be great if the food catered to the tastes of the Avengers themselves? We’re thinking delicious cheese burgers as a nod to Tony Stark, something leafy (salads) to remind us of that one time Groot ate a leaf off himself and, obviously, some locally brewed craft beers and signature drinks (both alcoholic and non). And if we’re really looking to Marvel movies for inspiration, we’re going to keep our fingers crossed there’s an ice cream-based dessert in honor of Scott Lang’s stint at Baskin Robbins before he was recruited to be Ant-Man.
Photo courtesy of Disney Parks blog
When Does Marvel Land Open in Disneyland? - Things We Know For Sure
Since Marvel Land is still in development, there are only a few things we know for sure. So, since we can’t answer the question “When does Marvel Land open,” we’ll share what we have heard from Disney.
- The official name of Marvel Land at Disney California Adventure Park is Avengers Campus.
- Avengers Campus will open in two phases, much like Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disneyland Park. Phase 1 opens summer 2020, while Phase 2 may open in the year or two following.
- Phase 1 of Avengers Campus will open with the first ever attraction that features Spider-Man as the headliner at Disneyland Resort.
- When Avengers Campus opens in 2020, it will debut Pym Test Kitchen and Microbrewery, which is an Ant-Man and The Wasp themed restaurant featuring Pym technology. Menu items are still unknown, but we anticipate the decor will at least plays around with size.
Book Now to Experience Marvel Land
Did you know you can book discount Disneyland tickets now with us and use them for travel this year or next? Simply specify when you book whether it's for 2019 or 2020 travel, and your dates are flexible! Plus, we offer an interest-free Layaway Plan so you can book now for as low as $175 down. You can make flexible payments on your own timeline as long as the vacation is paid off in full five days before you travel. When you first redeem your Disneyland tickets from Get Away Today, you'll have 13 days to use them to completion; so book now and make travel arrangements after Disney releases the Avengers Campus open date! Look at Disneyland packages online or give us a call at 855-GET-AWAY.