UPDATED MAY 2023. The Disneyland Grad Nite season is nearly here and that means different things for different people. Whether you're attending one of the Disneyland Grad Nites or would like to avoid them, we have everything you need to know. First, let’s start with the basics of Disneyland Grad Nite and move into more frequently asked questions below.
What are Disneyland Grad Nites?
Whether you've attended a Grad Nite at Disneyland or not, chances are if you've visited Disneyland in late spring, you've heard of them. Some people love them. Some people try to avoid them. No matter which group you fall into, you'll want to know everything you can about Disneyland Grad Nites before planning your vacation.
- Grad Nite is the Disney name for special nighttime events held for graduating high school seniors at the Disneyland Resort.
- There are three different Grad Nite ticket packages and some visit both parks all day long.
- The official Grad Nite events are held inside Disney California Adventure Park after regular park closing.
When are Disneyland Grad Nites?
There are several Grad Nite dates to be aware of if you’re planning to visit in May and June. Most Disneyland Grad Nite special tickets sell out the fall of the previous year, so if you’re looking to celebrate with your school be sure to check early. In 2023 Grad Nites include the following dates:
- May 12, 14, 17, 19, 21, 24, 25, 30, 31
- June 2, 4, 7, 9, 14, 16
Should I go to the Disneyland Resort during Disneyland Grad Nites if we're not attending?
Yes! We always say that the best time to go to Disneyland is when you can go to Disneyland. If that happens to fall over Disneyland Grad Nites, so be it. Many families don't even notice that Grad Nites are going on during their vacation. As with any Disneyland vacation, there are so many ways to make the most of your time. Services like Disney Genie+ and Mobile Ordering are huge time savers. You can also make reservations for table service restaurants, including Character Dining, up to 60 days in advance. There are also so many entertainment options in both parks that there is never a shortage of fun. Having the right attitude and being able to go with the flow are also crucial for making the most of any Disneyland vacation, regardless of when you go.
How do I get tickets to Disneyland Grad Nite?
Grad Nites at the Disneyland Resort truly are a once in a lifetime opportunity for any graduating senior. Our group department would love to help you put together a trip for your class of graduating seniors. We can help you set up everything from Disney Grad Nite tickets to hotels. You can call our office at 888-943-2929 to get a free quote from our group department. Before you call, there are a few things to know if you're interested in attending a Disney Grad Nite.
- You must have a group with a minimum of 20 graduating seniors (students) and two chaperones. Chaperones must be 25 years or older and each group must get approval from the school's administration.
- Each group member must purchase the same type of Grad Nite ticket option. Our team is happy to go over each of those options when you call in.
- Each school may only submit one group for Grad Nite attendance so make sure everyone who wants to attend is involved in the process.
Do I have to book a Disneyland Grad Nite as part of a senior trip?
No! In fact, many graduating seniors choose to make Disneyland their destination for a senior trip and we love helping them set it up. What's nice about going on your own senior trip is that you have a lot more flexibility. You can qualify for group tickets with as few as 10 students. If you have a minimum of 10 students and one chaperone for each 10 students, give our group booking agents a call at 888-943-2929. If you have a smaller group, we can set up one of our standard discounted vacation packages. With our traditional packages, you don't have to have a minimum group size, a certain amount of chaperones, or anything else really. Get Away Today can help set up senior trips of any size and will help you navigate all of the details.
What are some tips for navigating Grad Nite on a regular vacation?
We love sharing Disneyland tips here at Get Away Today. Some of the best tips are valid all year-round but especially on Grad Nites and other after hour events. Here are some of our best tips.
- Download the Disneyland App. Here you'll have wait times, Fastpass availability, restaurant reservations, Character meet and greet info, show times and so much more. You'll love having everything at your fingertips. It makes planning your trip a breeze. With real time information, you can also easily shift gears if necessary.
- Disney Genie+. Use this system to make the most of your time at Disneyland. Make sure you get return times for your favorite attractions like Space Mountain, Soarin' Around the World, Toy Story Midway Mania, Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT and more.
- Rider Swap. This is one tip that the graduating seniors likely won’t be using. If you have smaller kids who can't ride, ask the Cast Member outside each ride for a Rider Swap pass before you get in line. It will allow someone in your group to stay back with anyone who can't ride. Then, once your group has ridden, the person who stayed back can ride without the long standby wait time.
- Single Rider. Guests ages 7 and up can take advantage of the Single Rider Lines available at select attractions. You can go in an often much shorter line and fill in any open spots. You won't sit next to your party, but you may end up in the same car, just a different row. You may see some high school graduates using this trick, but since they are typically traveling all together in large groups, most seniors will probably want to ride with their friends as one large group.
- Character Dining. Making Character Dining reservations is one of our top recommendations whether you're visiting during a Disney Grad Nite at Disneyland or not. It's the best way to meet the characters because they come to you. There are various options at Disneyland for Character Dining and they each have their own perks. Reservations can be made 60 days in advance and we always recommend making your reservations as soon as possible.
- Get a 5th Day Free Ticket. By getting the longest length of ticket possible, which happens to be five days, you'll have the most flexibility. If you or your kids start to feel overwhelmed, you can leave during the peak of the day for a quick recharge back at your hotel. We think the 5-day Park Hopper is the best ticket ever!
- Early Entry. A huge perk of staying onsite at one of the Disneyland Resort hotels is it allows you access into certain areas of Disneyland or California Adventure 30 minutes before it opens to the public. We recommend using your Early Entry each morning to ride the most popular attractions with the lowest wait times.
Planning Your Disneyland Vacation During Grad Nites
It's also important to remember that the Disneyland Resort no longer really has downtime. You should go expecting it to be busy, but that won't stop the magic! There are so many tips and tricks to make your Disneyland vacation the best time ever. Whether you're visiting during a Disney Grad Nite or not, we'd love to help. You can find all of our Disneyland vacation packages online, or call our agents at 855-GET-AWAY. And if you're thinking of a group vacation of any kind, call our group department at 888-943-2929.
Join the Conversation!Leave A Comment
DisneyvisitotJune 14 2017
Sorry don't agree. Just experienced grad night and it's been awful. Too many people already in summer to have grad nights too is just asking for trouble. Fast passes have run out. Indiana jones ride out for 8 hours. Space mountain 2 hour wait at least. One hour wait pirates of Caribbean to be squished between screaming loud grads jumping lines.