Photo courtesy of San Diego Zoo
The San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Zoo Safari Park are two of our most popular San Diego attractions. Our contact, Melissa, recently visited our office. We were able to sit down with her and talk about some of the must-see highlights of each park.
The World Famous San Diego Zoo is the #1 rated zoo on all of Trip Advisor. It is located in Balboa Park and is over 100 acres. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is located about 35 miles outside of the city in Escondido. This park is expansive with over 1,800 acres of animals roamin in thier natural habitats. With so much to see and do at both parks, we've narrowed down the top 3 things to do at the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park. Watch our video to find out what you won't want to miss.
Top 3 Things to do at the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park
As you can see, there is so much to do at both the San Diego Zoo and the Safari Park. For quick reference, we've recapped the top 3 things from each park and added our bonus tips from the video as well.
Top 3 Things at the San Diego Zoo
1. Africa Rocks. This is a brand new exhibit that opened at the San Diego Zoo last fall, and it's the largest expansion the Zoo has ever done. The expansion includes eight habitats featuring African animals like penguins, baboons and leopards. It covers eight acres and you won't want to miss it.
2. Kids Free October. For the entire month of October, kids ages 11 and under get into the San Diego Zoo completely free! New this year, free admission also includes one Skyfari Tram per child for a bird's eye view of the Zoo. You can also add the bus tour for just $5 per child. And the best part is that there is no limit (within reason) of how many kids per family can get in free. Many San Diego attractions only allow one free child per paid adult during the month of October, but not the San Diego Zoo. So, if Mom and Dad have seven kids, all seven get in free!
3. Jungle Bells. The holidays at the San Diego Zoo are magical. The whole Zoo is glowing with twinkling lights and glittering trees. The Zoo also has extended hours so you can enjoy the dazzling display until 8pm most nights during the event.
Bonus Tip: As a bonus tip for the San Diego Zoo, you'll want to do the guided bus tour first. The tour lasts approximately 35 minutes and shows you 75% of the Zoo. This will give you a good idea of where you want to start and gets you acquainted with the Zoo as a whole.
Top 3 Things at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park
1. Africa Tram. One of the most unique features of the San Diego Zoo Safari Park is the open atmosphere. When you ride the Africa Tram, you can see animals in their natural habitat. The entire tour takes you on a 2.5 mile loop and takes approximately 35 minutes.
Photo courtesy of San Diego Zoo Safari Park
2. Seasonal celebrations. The San Diego Zoo Safari Park hosts a number of seasonal celebrations throughout the year. One of the very most popular is the Butterfly Jungle which is typicall held in Spring. Summer Safari includes special entertainment throughout the summer.
3. Kids Free October. This year the San Diego Zoo Safari Park is once again offering kids free (ages 11 and younger) for the entire month of October. However, in years past, only admission was free. This year the Africa Tram is included with Kids Free October!
4. Walkabout Australia. This new exhibit is so incredible that we had to add a 4th can't miss thing at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Not only will you get to see a number of Australian animals like kangaroos and wallabies, there are no barriers between you! You'll walk about a path and feel like you're in the Outback.
Photo courtesy of San Diego Zoo Safari Park
Bonus Tip: Don't miss the Cheetah Run where you'll get to see a cheetah reach full running speed right before your eyes. This event only happens once a day at the Safari Park, so check the schedule and don't miss it.
We hope these tips get you excited for your San Diego vacation! If you haven't booked your Fall Break trip, be sure to take advantage of our Kids Free October in San Diego. When you book with Get Away Today, you'll get kids free to San Diego's most popular attractions in October, and the lowest price on your hotel with our exclusive rates. If you can't go this October, don't worry. We always guarantee the best price and value on your San Diego vacation year-round.
Book your San Diego vacation online, or call our vacation experts at 855-GET-AWAY.