Listing Image
Wednesday Jan. 11, 2017

We have everything you need to know about the NEW Disneyland MaxPass that just debuted. Find out what it is and how to use it on your Disneyland vacation. Updated on July 19, 2017.

Disneyland MaxPass

UPDATED JULY 19, 2017: If you haven’t heard, Disneyland just announced some big news for this year. The new MaxPass service is now available for guests to use in the Disneyland Resort!

Disneyland also added Fastpass tickets for the Matterhorn Bobsleds attractions AND Disney California Adventure Park added Fastpass tickets for Toy Story Mania! We are so excited that these attractions were added to the Fastpass options. In addition to adding two new Fastpass options, the Disneyland Resort is rolling out a new optional feature called Disneyland MaxPass.

We’ve gathered all available details from about the Disneyland MaxPass for you. Keep checking back as we’ll make sure to update this article as we learn more about the ins and outs of using MaxPass.

Disneyland MaxPass Soarin Around the World

What is the Disneyland MaxPass?

The Disneyland MaxPass is an additional pass for Disneyland guests that has two great new perks. The first is unlimited downloads of your PhotoPass pictures. The second is the ability to book and redeem Fastpass tickets on your mobile device using the Disneyland app.

What rides can I use the Disneyland MaxPass with?

The Disney MaxPass is good for all rides that allow Fastpass tickets.

What rides include Fastpass tickets?

Rides that currently have Fastpass tickets are: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, California Screamin’, Goofy’s Sky School, Grizzly River Run, Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT!, Haunted Mansion, Hyperspace Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Radiator Springs Racers, Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin, Soarin’ Around the World, Splash Mountain and Star Tours – The Adventure Continues.

You'll also be able to use your Disneyland MaxPass for Toy Story Mania and the Matterhorn Bobsleds as soon as these attractions have Fastpass up and running.

What rides include PhotoPass?

The rides that currently include PhotoPass are Hyperspace Mountain, Splash Mountain, California Screamin' and Radiator Springs Racers. PhotoPass photographers are also located throughout each park.

Disneyland MaxPass Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

When can I start using the Disneyland MaxPass?

The Disneyland MaxPass is available to purchase and use within the Disneyland app now.

Can I reserve my Fastpass tickets ahead of time with the Disneyland MaxPass?

No, the Disney MaxPass will only allow you to reserve a Fastpass ticket if you are inside a Disneyland Resort theme park.

How much is the Disneyland MaxPass?

The Disneyland MaxPass will have an introductory price of $10 per ticket per day. This charge is per person, not per family. The physical Fastpass tickets will still be available at the parks for no additional cost.

Will I still be able to get the normal paper Fastpass tickets in the park?

Yes, the physical Fastpass tickets will still be available at the kiosks in the park for all Fastpass enabled attractions for no additional charge. However, if you are using the Disneyland MaxPass, you won't be able to have a traditional Fastpass at the same time.

Can I use one device for multiple tickets that have the Disneyland MaxPass?

Yes, the Disneyland MaxPass will be able to link multiple tickets to one device, but you don't have to use it that way. If your group wants to split up and use your Fastpass tickets for different attractions, you can easily do that using different devices.

Disneyland MaxPass Radiator Spring Racers

Can I have multiple Fastpass tickets at a time with the Disneyland MaxPass?

No, the Disney MaxPass will only allow you to have the normal limit of one ticket at a time. The MaxPass will work exactly like the current Fastpass system, but allows you to schedule and redeem your Fastpass tickets with your mobile device via the Disneyland app. This is a HUGE perk since you won't have to run across the park or send someone to collect Fastpass tickets for your group. Just do it with the touch of a button while you're in line for an attraction, waiting for a show to start or grabbing some lunch! It's an awesome way to maximize your time in the park.

Disneyland MaxPass Fastpass

Will Disneyland MaxPass be similar to the Magic Band at Disney World?

The Disney MaxPass and Magic Bands or My Magic+ program have some major differences. Disneyland MaxPass will not offer a band and does not allow you to book Fastpass tickets ahead of time. It is also not tied to in park charges or restaurant reservations.

How do I get the Disneyland MaxPass?

First, download the Disneyland app and sign into your Disney account. Next, scan your tickets into the app. Once that is done and you are in the Disneyland Resort, you will be able to purchase the MaxPass directly from the Disneyland app.

Can I book a MaxPass for an attraction in Disney California Adventure while in Disneyland Park?

Yes! As long as your ticket has been scanned into either park, you will be able to add a Fastpass reservation for either park. That means you can secure a Fastpass for Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! while in Disneyland. Or, secure a Fastpass for Space Mountain while in Disney California Adventure. Just remember that you must have a Park Hopper ticket to go between the parks and you can still reserve only one Fastpass at a time.

Can only one person in my party purchase the MaxPass?

Everyone in your party must purchase the MaxPass to be able to book their Fastpasses on the app and have access to the unlimited PhotoPass downloads for the day.

Do I have to pay for the Disneyland MaxPass if I'm an annual passholder?

Only two annual passes include the MaxPass free of charge; the Signature Plus Passport and Premium Passport. Other annual pass levels must purchase the MaxPass for the $10 per person per day rate or an annual rate of $75.

Can I cancel my MaxPass selections?

Yes, if you are unable to make your Fastpass, you can cancel it via the Disneyland app. You are able to do this both for your whole party or an individual. You have the ultimate flexibility with the Disneyland MaxPass!

Will I be able to select World of Color and Fantasmic! Fastpasses with the Disneyland MaxPass?

No, these will remain paper Fastpass tickets and must be collected at their respective kiosks.

Disneyland MaxPass California Screamin

We don’t know about you, but we’re are loving the Disneyland MaxPass! We’d love to know what you think about this change. Do you like it? Do you have more questions about the Disneyland MaxPass?

Make sure to get the best price on your 2017 Disneyland vacation by booking your Disneyland tickets now. You won’t have to worry about losing availability when you use our layaway plan to book your vacation with only $125 down, either. Book any of our Disneyland packages online or give our travel experts a call at 855-GET-AWAY!

*All information has been verified through the Disney Parks Blog.

Check out these other great articles:

ALL NEW - Disneyland MaxPass

31 Comments

on January 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM
When will they add the fast pass to toy story?
Get Away Today on January 11, 2017 at 5:10 PM
Hi there, Disney hasn't announced specific dates, but we'll be sure to update you as soon as they do! :)
Carolyn on January 11, 2017 at 6:05 PM
So, a family of five, would spend 50 dollars to get fast pass for rides for the day. We usually go for 5 days. That is alot a money! Not sure , this is a good idea
on January 11, 2017 at 9:39 PM
Not gonna lie... I don't like it but hey if I don't like it then I don't have to get it, right?! Just one more way Disney is trying to get more money out of us. Cause correct me if I'm wrong but with that pass it's per person so if I have 4 people and we'd normally send one person to a ride to get all of our fast passes (for free) they'd charge $10 (intro rate) per person for their fast pass. So that'd be an extra $40 we just spent just to get fast passes?
Get Away Today on January 12, 2017 at 8:06 AM
Hi everyone! The Fastpass tickets at the kiosks in the park will still be available for no charge. The MaxPass is only if you would like to book those Fastpass tickets on your phone instead of physically going to the kiosk. Plus, it includes unlimited PhotoPass downloads on top of the added convenience of not having to go to the kiosks. We hope that clears it up for you! Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)
Tiff on January 12, 2017 at 9:01 AM
This is such a terrible idea with a lot of flaws for the average park attendee. It's also frustrating to be charged for something WDW gets included in the price of their tickets. We were going to get APs again this year, but I'm seriously reconsidering that decision. This is too much additional money for my family of four, but I suppose this is yet another way of pricing people out of the parks to reduce congestion.
Sue on January 12, 2017 at 10:51 AM
I'm not sure I understand the unlimited Photo Pass downloads. I usually purchase the Photo Pass for I think $89 . Everyone in my group gives me the numbers from photos taken and I go around to all the rides, etc. every night to add them to my pass. Does this mean I don't have to do this anymore and my out of pocket is $10 a day for the same thing?
Sharon on January 12, 2017 at 4:23 PM
So does this include all PhotoPass pictures or just the ones from the rides?
Get Away Today on January 13, 2017 at 9:20 AM
Hi Sue and Sharon! We don't have all the details about the PhotoPass portion of the Disneyland Maxpass just yet. As soon as Disney releases those, we will let you know. :)
Matt on January 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM
3 questions: 1. Buzz Lightyear Fastpasses are currently disconnected. Will they still be disconnected on the app or only with paper tickets? 2. If I chose to get MaxPass, can I still get a paper Fastpass later if MaxPass runs out earlier than regular Fastpass? 3. Is MaxPass going to be like Fastpass where the 2 parks Fastpasses are disconnected from each other (like Space Mountain not connected to Soarin', Splash Mountain not connected to Radiator Springs Racers, etc)?
Get Away Today on January 26, 2017 at 11:01 AM
Hi Matt! Those are great questions. Disney hasn't released specific details about the MaxPass and whether or not it will be the same as the Fastpass in regards to being disconnected. We will make sure to update you as soon as they do!
on March 16, 2017 at 5:25 PM
You mentioned earlier in the blog that you can't have multiple Fastpasses at a time. Do you mean they will have the same rules for Fastpass (wait until the return time or 2 hours to get a new Fastpass) or do you have to use your Maxpass first before you can get a new one? So if you got a MaxPass for Star Tours at 9:00 and the return time was 12:00, could you still reserve another MaxPass at 11:00 or would you have to wait until 12:00 and use the MaxPass to get a new one for another ride?
Get Away Today on March 17, 2017 at 10:47 AM
Yes - great question. The same Fastpass rules will apply to the MaxPass, so if you get one at 9am with a 12pm return time, your next MaxPass will be available at 11am. :)
Alex on May 17, 2017 at 2:11 AM
Any update on when this will be available ?
Get Away Today on May 17, 2017 at 8:36 AM
Hi Alex. There has been no update on when the MaxPass will be available in Disneyland. We are anxiously awaiting and will let you know as soon as it is announced!
Driving to Anaheim next w on June 19, 2017 at 5:21 PM
Still no further info on when this feature will become available....? Thanks for keeping us all up to date!
Get Away Today on June 20, 2017 at 8:49 AM
Hi there! There still has not been an update on when the MaxPass will be available. However, we have a few team members going down this week who are hoping to talk to a few Cast Members and try to get a little more information. We'll let you know as soon as we know more! :)
roo on June 21, 2017 at 1:08 PM
have they said anything about if MaxPass will be a feature that is added/included to annual passes?
Get Away Today on June 21, 2017 at 1:42 PM
Hi Roo! The Disney Parks Blog did mention that there would be a daily or yearly option for Annual Passholders to add on, but we haven't heard more about it. We'll make sure to let you know as soon as we hear an update!
K on June 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM
I don't like this at all! I feel like eventually they will be getting rid of the free system. For a family of 8 who usually spends 5 days in the park this adds up to an extra $400! That's just ridiculous! Last time we visited universal studios it was misrable for anyone who had a standard ticket..,we were all waiting over 2 hours to get in rides because of they're VIP passes.
Tina on July 22, 2017 at 11:04 AM
Can the passes for guests with special needs be done through the max pass?
Get Away Today on July 24, 2017 at 8:56 AM
Hi Tina! The DAS and mobility disability passes will continue to be done as before, without access on the Max Pass.
John on October 27, 2017 at 2:24 PM
So if we bought get away ticket for 7 of us, link it to one device, can I buy all 7 MaxPass after entering the park in one device? Or other members have to buy their own MaxPass?
Get Away Today on October 27, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Hi John, If you link all of your tickets to one device, you'll pay for them in one transaction on the same device. :)
stacie on November 17, 2017 at 9:20 AM
So is it $10.00 a day for the whole day per person for all fast pass rides? Or 10$ per ride?
Get Away Today on November 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM
Hi Stacie! The $10 is for the entire day for one person, not per ride. If you have any other questions, give us a call at 855-GET-AWAY. :)
J on February 5, 2018 at 8:41 PM
I LOVE the MaxPass! We attended mid December and rode ALL the rides within 3 days with little wait, thanks to the MaxPass. That was with a 2 and 4 year old. Not all the rides can you fast pass but the ones we usually wait long for we were able to fast pass. I really liked walking right into the park, purchase the MaxPass and secure our first ride while walking to another ride. There was one point we held 3 fast passes at one. Our first fast pass of the day got canceled which basically gave us a freebie you can use at anytime of the day (you can’t use at for Gaurdians of Galaxy). We ended up fast passing Gaurdians of Galaxy for later that evening. Because it was a couple hours away, we were able to fast pass the Cars ride (the MaxPass will give you a time frame as the when you can pick another ride to fast pass if the you are holding a fast pass that is later that day). We ended up using our freebie on Soaring. Basically we were able to ride Cars, Soaring and Gaurdians of Galaxy within 1 hour and 15 minutes. My husband and I were blown away. Not to mention my in laws were part of our MaxPass but didn’t come with us in the evening so we used their freebie to ride the cars ride a second time. We also enjoyed having all our pictures throughout our time in the parks. I ended up downloaded them to my phone and printing out myself. I can understand paying an extra $10 per person. It could get pricey. You don’t have to commit to everyday you are in the park. We picked the two busiest days based on the crowed calendar. For our sanity with two young kids, the money was worth it for us! I can only imagine the price will continue to go up as more catch on to this. I say, do it now while it is only $10 per person!
Carissa on February 24, 2018 at 1:13 AM
Do I have to purchase a PhotoPass and then pay the $10 for the Max Pass just to link it to my device or does just buying the Max Pass get us the unlimited photo downloads?
Get Away Today on February 26, 2018 at 8:45 AM
Hi Carissa! The $10 per person per day MaxPass option includes all of your photo downloads for that day. You do not need to purchase the PhotoPass on top of the MaxPass. And, if you're only using MaxPass for the photos, you really only have to have one person purchase the MaxPass for those benefits. Just make sure they and their mobile device are there for all pictures to be linked to the account with MaxPass. If you have any questions, give us a call at 855-GET-AWAY. :)
Shane Johnson on March 29, 2018 at 9:57 AM
Can we purchase the Max Pass through Get Away Today? If so where? I dont see where to select it.
Get Away Today on March 29, 2018 at 4:47 PM
Hi Shane! MaxPass is only available for purchase through Disneyland. To add it on to our tickets, you'll just wait to do so via the Disneyland app once you are in the park each day. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 855-GET-AWAY.