How to Ride Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland
As of January 17, 2020, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is officially open to guests at the Disneyland Resort. This attraction is the second and main attraction to open inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and it is a BIG deal. It’s the most immersive, most ambitious, and quite possibly the most thrilling attraction ever, anywhere in the entire world. But, if you want to ride it, there are a few things to know. We were there opening day and are ready to share everything you need to know about how you can ride Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland.
Boarding Groups for Rise of the Resistance
The very first thing you need to know if you want to ride Rise of the Resistance is that the Disneyland Resort is implementing Boarding Groups for guests to be able to ride. A Boarding Group will hold your place in a virtual line so that you can explore the rest of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, and the rest of the Disneyland Resort while you await your ride time. As of right now, being part of a Boarding Group is the ONLY way you'll be able to ride.
How do I get in a Boarding Group for Rise of the Resistance?
In order to get into a Boarding Group, you first must have theme park admission to Disneyland for the day. Once you're inside the Park, there are two ways to get into a Boarding Group: through the Disneyland app or through Guest Services.
In order to get into a Boarding Group either way, there are three things you must know.
- First, you MUST be scanned into Disneyland Park (not Disney California Adventure Park) in order to get a Boarding Group.
- Second, everyone in your party must be inside Disneyland. You cannot send someone in your group to get Boarding Groups for everyone.
- And finally, we recommend being inside the park at least few minutes before it opens because as of right now, most Boarding Groups are assigned within a few minutes of park opening. So, let's get into how you do it!
Using the Disneyland App to Get a Boarding Group
The easiest and most likely way to get your place in a Boarding Group is through the official Disneyland Resort App. Just make sure the most recent version of the app is downloaded on your phone before you go. You'll also want to load each of your tickets onto the app and link them together before entering the park.
Once you enter Disneyland for the day, you’ll see an area on the home page specifically for Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. You can click "Find Out More." From there, you'll see two buttons: "My Status" and "Join Boarding Group." As soon as the park is open for the day, you’ll be able to click "Join Boarding Group" for the opportunity to be assigned a Boarding Group. You’ll be alerted through the app when your Boarding Group is called. You’ll have two hours from the time your Boarding Group is called to ride the attraction.
How to Get a Boarding Group Without the App
If you don’t have the app, or don’t want to use your smartphone to get into a Boarding Group, you can get into one from anyone in Guest Services. You can find Guest Services at City Hall on Main Street, U.S.A. and at locations throughout the park. If you get your Boarding Group assignment through Guest Services, you can check the status of your group on electronic boards placed throughout the park. At this point, most of the Boarding Groups are taken within minutes of the park opening, so we highly recommend using the app to secure a Boarding Group. No matter how you get your reservation, be sure you keep an eye on posted return times, because you will NOT want to miss your time to ride.
How early can I get into a Boarding Group?
Boarding Groups will open as soon as the park officially opens to the general public. This is the posted opening time, not when they open the gates. For example, on opening day the official posted opening time was 8am. However, because people were lined up much earlier than that, Disneyland opened the gates and began letting guests in. The park still did not open until 8am, and Boarding Groups did not open up until 8am. There is absolutely no benefit to arriving at the park hours early. Once Boarding Groups open, everyone has the same exact opportunity to snag one.
That means that even if you have Magic Morning or Extra Magic Hour, you will not be able to access the Boarding Group until the official park opening. It’s always a good idea to check the Disneyland app or website to confirm park hours, and it’s even more crucial if you’d like to ride Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. We recommend getting to the Park approximately an hour prior to opening to make sure that you are through the front gates and can enter a Boarding Group as soon as Disneyland is open.
I have my Boarding Group. Now what?
The very best thing about being in a Boarding Group is that you can do whatever you want while the virtual queue holds your place in line! If you have a lower Boarding Group number (up to around 20-ish), you'll probably want to hang around pretty close to the attraction. Ride Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run, grab a Ronto Wrap, or wander through the shops at Black Spire Outpost. If you have a higher number and a Park Hopper, head over to Disney California Adventure Park for brunch at Lamplight Lounge. Grab a FastPass, use Disney's MaxPass Service if you have it, or just use the stand-by queues at your favorite rides. The day is yours!
While you're enjoying your day, you can check the status of the Boarding Groups through the app and on signs throughout Disneyland Park throughout the day. You can also sign up for push notifications, which we highly recommend. That way, when it's your turn to board you'll get an alert on your phone.
It should also be noted that being in a Boarding Group doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be able to ride. There may be times when Disneyland doesn’t get to all of the assigned Boarding Groups. However, Disney wants to be sure that everyone has the most enjoyable experience ever. When Boarding Groups are assigned for the day, the app will show what groups are planning to be called that day. If you are in those numbers, you have a very high probability of riding. Any number higher, is possible. And keep in mind, Disney is doing the very best they can to make sure as many people as possible are able to enjoy the attraction and have a good experience.
What happens if there are no Boarding Groups left?
There is a chance that all Boarding Groups may be filled for the day, but that doesn’t mean all is lost. Disneyland will issue Backup Boarding Groups, which will give guests the opportunity to ride if there is space available in previously assigned Boarding Groups. This could happen when people don’t make their Boarding Group time, or if the ride is simply operating quicker than anticipated. At this point, most Backup Boarding Groups are the higher boarding group numbers and they are being assigned within the first few minutes of park opening. The other nice thing about the Boarding Group system is that you know within a very short period of time whether or not you get one. That frees up the rest of your day to do whatever you want without wondering.
Is there a Standby Line or FastPass access for Rise of the Resistance?
One truly unique thing about Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland is that FastPass access is not available, and there is no standby line. That means the only way you’ll be able to ride this new attraction is by being in a Boarding Group. The nice thing about Boarding Groups is that you'll know immediately whether or not you get one. If you don't, you're free to go on with the rest of your day and enjoy everything else that the Disneyland Resort has to offer.
Other Tips for Riding Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland
Because of the unpredictable nature of whether or not you'll get a Boarding Group, we have a few tips to broaden your odds.
- Get a multi-day ticket. The more park days you have, the more opportunities you'll have to get a Boarding Group. Our top recommendation is our Extra Day Free ticket which gives you five days for the price of a 4-day ticket.
- Get a Park Hopper. Never has Park Hopping been more valuable. For those who really want to ride Rise of the Resistance, we recommend going to Disneyland first each day and trying for a Boarding Group. Then, you can still spend the rest of your day at Disney California Adventure Park.
- Get there early. But not too early. Give yourself enough time to be to the park about an hour prior to opening. That should give you enough time to get through security and the ticket booths. But it shouldn't be too early that you're wandering around Main Street, U.S.A. with nothing to do.
- Have a positive attitude. Remember that nothing is guaranteed. Rides can go down, entertainment can be canceled because of weather, AND you can STILL have a great time. Your Disneyland vacation truly is what you make it, and we hope you make it the best ever!
More Star Wars at Disneyland
Whether you are able to ride Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland or not, there are still so many ways to celebrate your love of all things Star Wars! Here are some of our favorite must-see Star Wars experiences at the Disneyland Resort both inside and outside of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge:
- Star Tours: The Adventures Continue - Now featuring scenes from Rise of Skywalker for a limited time
- Star Wars Launch Bay - Meet your favorite characters and see props from the films
- Path of the Jedi - Now playing in Tomorrowland Theater
- Space Mountain - OK - not exactly Star Wars at the moment, but you can still cruise through space!
- Black Spire Outpost - Shop for an out-of-this-world souvenir.
- Droid Depot - Build your own droid, then play with him/her in specially marked areas in Batuu.
- Food - Sample all the cuisine - including Blue Milk and Green Milk, and my personal favorite, Rontos Roasters.
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run - Ride again and again to play each role; pilot, gunner and engineer.
Booking Your Disneyland Vacation
We are so excited that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is now open at Disneyland! And we are so excited for everything else happening at the Disneyland Resort this year. From celebrations like Lunar New Year and Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival to Avengers Campus opening in Disney California Adventure Park this summer and all of our favorite classic attractions in between, there is SO much to look forward to! If you're planning a trip, we'd love to be part of the process. Book your Disneyland vacation online, or call any of our vacation experts at 855-GET-AWAY.