Today Jennifer Dunyon, VP of Communications for Get Away Today, was invited to talk to Studio 5's viewers about one of the hottest travel trends of 2013 - multi-generation vacations! Families are choosing to invite MORE family on vacation and in return are getting MORE magic and MORE memories. When we say multi-generation vacations, we're not necessarily talking about traditional family reunions where you have 100 + people. These are right in between the extended family reunion and a standard family vacation, where just grandparents, their adult children, and their kids (the grandchildren), or similar family groupings get together for an unforgettable vacation together.
Everything is more fun with the ones you love - especially vacations! A top travel trend for 2013 is traveling with extended family on vacations. Jen Dunyon covered many of the reasons on the show:
o Fast paced life style doesn’t allow for us much quality time at home.
o Families are spread apart all over the country, so it's a great way to come together.
o The Baby boomer generation is younger and healthier than traditional grandparents- they want to experience new destinations and have fun with their grandchildren.
o With a tighter economy, this is one way younger families can afford to take a vacation, with a little help from their grandparents with shared rooms.
o It’s a popular gift in lieu of presents for a birthday or special event. Also, many family gatherings vacations travel for a birthday celebration, golden anniversary, wedding, or graduation.
Here are Jen's best travel tips for planning a successful, stress-free extended family vacation:
o Think of a destination that everyone will enjoy.
- The Disneyland Resort is geared for young ones and the young at heart and is a clear top choice for families.
- San Diego is a relaxing beach vacation, plus there are many attractions like SeaWorld, and the San Diego Zoo, and other activities that everyone can enjoy.
- Cruises- These are popular because all of the activities and dining is included and everything is taken care of for you.
o Other helpful tips:
- Have a kick-off party before the vacation to get everyone excited, brainstorm ideas and give everyone a general plan of the vacation.
- Meal time can be complicated “Where do you want to eat?” Plan reservations in advance.
- While on vacation, plan together time and free time so you have a great blend.
- Take lots of pictures- these are memories that will last a lifetime!
If you missed the spot, you can watch it below and get all of the best tips firsthand:
Our new website makes it simple to book up to four rooms at time, making planning your family gathering vacation easier than ever. Be sure to check it out!
Check out these other great articles:
Jennifer Reports LIVE from the Disneyland Resort (Video)
Disneyland: Fantasy Faire Now Open
What's New at the Disneyland Resort 2013